Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 7: Downe Hospital and the Murder Mystery

During my fourth day at my placement at Downe Hospital, I was able to work in both Outpatient and Main reception. Believe it or not, Outpatient reception is much more busy than Main reception. I never would have guessed this to be the case. The duties of Main Reception include directing patients to where they need to go and assembling charts. Since I don’t know the hospital that well, I didn’t do much of directing patients where to go. Instead, I helped with assembling the charts. Depending on what kind of appointment the patient has determines how the chart is to be assembled. Certain types of appointments require different notes. Also, it’s very important when assembling these charts to make sure that each referral letter is in the front of the chart. If the letter is not there, the doctor will have a very difficult time deciphering why the doctor felt the need to refer the patient to the hospital.

While I was at Outpatient Reception, I did most of the duties that I do every day. Fridays aren’t very busy at the hospital, so that was pretty nice. I’ve been getting pretty good at some of my duties, so there are times that Emma just leaves the desk to get things without making sure someone else is there to cover. It’s nice to think that before Tuesday, I had never used their system or anything and now I understand it enough to be left alone for a few minutes. Because it was a quiet day, we got to head home early, so Emma gave me a ride to the Saint Patrick Centre around 4:15pm.

Since I had some extra time at the Saint Patrick Centre, I decided to spend a little time exploring Downpatrick. I was finally able to buy some postcards and I found my Claddagh ring to buy! I was very happy to have the extra time to relax and see what Downpatrick has to offer. Then, I headed back to the Saint Patrick Centre to meet up with Annie, Andrea, and Kaitie because we needed to head up to the Down Museum, which was right behind the Saint Patrick Centre. The reason we were headed up to the museum is because they were putting on a Murder Mystery play. The museum is located at an old jail, so it worked quite well for the play. Part of the play was the audience traveling amongst buildings to investigate. It wasn’t like any play I have ever been to before. We even were able to have sandwiches while discussing clues within groups to solve the mystery. Our director, Tim Campbell, was actually a part of the play, so we were convinced that his character was the murderer, but it turns out we had been wrong.

After a long day, we headed back to Dundrum and most of us went to bed right away. It looks like it will be a fun and packed weekend ahead of us. I can’t believe it’s been a week since we arrived. Well, until next time.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment